City logo


Water Customer Assistance

NEW: Customers in our Tiered Assistance Program (TAP) can work toward Debt Forgiveness.

We use a single application for all water bill assistance programs, including the Senior Citizen Discount and the Tiered Assistance Program (TAP). If your income is too high for those programs, a Special Hardship can make you eligible for TAP.

Payment agreements can also help make your bill more manageable.

Fill out one application, and we’ll let you know which program offers the lowest bill.

If you have experienced job loss or difficulty paying your bills as a result of COVID‑19, please apply for customer assistance.

mail icon


Fill out the first part of the application online or you may call (215) 685-6300 to request an application be mailed to you.

You have 14 days from when you request the application to when you must return it. You will also need to make photocopies of documents to send back with the application.

online icon


The application takes most people about an hour to complete. You can complete the application in one sitting or save your progress and complete the application later. To save your progress you will need to provide a valid email address where we can send your application id.

Be sure you have every document you’ll need and access to a scanner or a camera (like the one on your phone) so you can submit your documents electronically.

print icon


Use our interactive map to find locations throughout the city that can help you start or complete an application, or answer questions. Call ahead, and plan to bring copies of all the items from the checklist with you.

* In-person help is limited due to the COVID‑19 pandemic. Contact each location to confirm options for getting help with your application, and please follow all safety guidelines.

See example application and guidelines


You will need the following to apply. Do not send originals.

  • 1. Water Access Code (found on your bill)  
    ? example of water bill

    You will need the 9-digit number in the upper right of any recent water bill (click the question mark for the example)

  • 2. Proof of residency for applicant:

    The item must be dated within the past 6 months. Include TWO different items from the following list:

    • Current government issued ID with current address (driver's license or ID card)
    • OR
    • Current rental agreement, or aggreement for sale for the dwelling unit.
    • OR
    • Recent utility bill (must show service and mailing addresses), tax bill, or other tax record.
    • OR
    • Lease, rent book, or money order receipts that show your address.
  • 3. Proof of income for everyone in the household over age 18:

    For each person in your household (age 18 or older), please gather proof of all income using the following list of acceptable documents:

    • Prior year's federal income tax return (you'll just need the page that shows name and gross income.)
    • OR
    • Pay stubs (must be consecutive and cover at least 30 days)
    • OR
    • Benefit award letter or statement, such as: Unemployment compensation printout, Workers' comensation award, Social Security letter, Pension letter, or Welfare benefits statement.
    • OR
    • Income support statement – For example, if you receive Child Support, we'll ask for some proof of the current amount and source, such as: A letter from (you will need to login to the site), or Fill out the page of the application called "Attachment A: Income Support Documentation"
  • 4. If you are applying with a Special Hardship claim, you’ll need to submit some form of hardship documentation:

    • Termination letter to prove job loss
    • Hospital admission or discharge documents to prove serious illness
    • Birth or adoption certificate to show household size increase
    • Death certificate to prove the death of main income earner
    • Safe harbor documents to show shelter admission due to abuse
    • Copies of most recent bills, including utilities, medical, or childcare to show high household expenses or medical bills.
Start your application